I met Josh right after Graduation, June 2003! I say met, yes we are both from the same small town, but we never attended high school together so I didn't really know him. I knew of him and who he was but never really had any contact with him. I had taught dance with his 2 older sisters for 2 years. They talked my whole senior year about setting us up but it never really happened. In june he came home from Chicago for a weekend and we were supposed to go out. I happened to be getting my wisdom teeth out that weekend so it didn't work out. However, My dance girls that I taught had a recital that weekend as well and we both ended up there. I was a little doped up on pain killers and don't really remember the night, but I obviously said some fantastic things because the next day he brought me ice cream. We talked for a couple of hours, and he said he really came by to see if I was feeling up to going to lagoon but could see that wasn't going to happen. ***on a side note: I found out later that he already had another date for Lagoon! He was just being a player!**** But wondered if I wanted to watch movies when he got home. So he came and picked me up and midnight that night and we watched movies until 4 am and cuddled! I tell this story so detailed because this is the night that started it all. He left the next day to go back to Chicago. We talked on the phone all summer long and really started liking to talk to each other. We would talk for hours, and he had $400 phone bills. We had both decided that we wanted to see if this was JUST a friendship or if there was more... so he flew me to chicago for his birthday at the beginning of August. We spent 5 days together! We had our first kiss in the airport, we went to nauvoo and went to the nauvoo temple, and we cuddled a lot! We both knew after this weekend that we were in love.
On August 19th 2003 I left for Dixie State College. This is also the day Josh told me he loved me! I was in southern Utah for a year, just going to school. Josh was in Provo going to school, but we continued to have a long distance relationship. We drove back and forth every weekend. I think we only missed 1. My adventures at Dixie were short lived, Josh and I got engaged on New Years Eve! We got married May 7 2004!

We moved to Chicago like 4 days after we got married. Josh was doing summer sales and I worked in the office. This didn't last long. We were only there for like 6 weeks when we packed it up and moved to Utah again. We moved to Provo. Josh was going to UVSC, and I don't really know what I was doing. This is the phase of my life were I look back and wonder what I was thinking. We found out we were pregnant in Provo, just 3 months after we were married. We lived there for 6 mos. In an apartment that we like to call "the HOLE" It was a tiny one bedroom basement apartment. Josh transferred to the University of Utah, and we moved to G-ville! We lived with joshs parents because we were planning on moving to Arizona for the summer.
We had our first anniversary, then 4 days later we welcomed our first baby, beautiful little Brielle Taylor! She was born in May of 2005!
It, of course, was love at first sight! We couldn't get enough of her. We were moving to Arizona for the summer for one last hurray at summer sales. Josh was already late and had to get there and get going so he left when Brie was just 4 days old, and I cried and cried. We followed behind him a few days later when Brielle was just 10 days old. This is a bad pic, but it is us on the airplane.
We LOVED Arizona! At least Brielle and I did! Josh liked it, but had to walk around in the hot hot weather! Brielle and I just hung out at the pool all day! She loved it, despite the picture!
We lived in Arizona until August of 2005. We then moved to Stansbury Park, where we lived in the town homes behind the Benson Grist Mill! Josh was going to school at the University of Utah, and working full time laying carpet for his Dad's carpet business. I was home with Brielle, and so grateful that I could be. Aubrey you asked about the photography, this was about the time I fell in love with it. Josh got me a nice camera for my birthday before I had Brie and I loved to pose her and take pics of her as a baby. I would set up sheet over my couch and improvise with whatever I had. I would look up tips online, and any photographer who would talk to me I would pick their brains apart. It is hard to find a photographer willing to share secrets though.
Hope Mckell was born in October of 2006! We loved having a new addition to the family! And she was such a sweet little baby!The whole first year of Hopes life is still a blur to me. Having my girls that close was definitely a challenge. I just remember 4:00 pm rolling around and I would realize I hadn't eaten all day. I would just get so busy with the kids and getting them fed, wiped and then put down for naps. They were on different nap schedules so I always had one awake and I just went from one thing to the next.
We just did the school, work and mom thing for a couple years. We of course had birthdays, Christmases, anniversaries, and other fun events. I eventually woke up to life and came out of my mommy haze. I think it was when hope was like 8 months old. I started taking pictures for like family and friends around Grantsville and Stansbury in like late 2007. Word just kind of spread and I just kept practicing. I still LOVE it!I will never forget the journey across the country with 2 little girls. We were moving blindly. I had never been to Virginia, and neither of us had seen the school or the apartment. We were going on faith.


11 comments:
So much fun to read :-) I don't know if I'm yet out of the mommy haze...it just changes, or maybe my need for sleep keeps increasing, or both.
Love those little girls! Believe it or not, I always thought having your kids close (less than 2 years) together would be ideal...I didn't ever pull it off though. They'll have such fun together in the adventures of growing up.
Are you ready to welcome Thomas? We're down to less than 2 weeks and the calendar is packed.
It's fun to see your old pics! It seems like we were just at your wedding!
My kids are 18 months apart and I remember (or don't remember) the mommy haze pretty well. That is so cute! I didn't know how your guys met!
Natalie, that was WONDERFUL, it made me smile and brought tears to me eyes!!! I enjoyed reading every word and I appreciate so much that you took the time to do that! The only place I saw you living in person was your cute little home in Stansbury at Emily's bridal shower. I still remember how beautifully decorated it was and I can only imagine that your current home is gorgeous. I love the pictures of it I have seen so far. That is so great that Josh is doing law school- good for you guys! I kind of feel the same as you did during undergrad, it's only the beginning because we know we still have grad school after. It's a wonderful journey no matter what you are doing though:). I moved to Stansbury from Virginia and we loved the beautiful green country and had many wonderful friends too. Again, thank you so much, that really touched my heart. Also, I love your playlist and it went great with the story. Life is beautiful and I'm happy that you guys are so happy and blessed! You are great! Love, Aubrey Jane
awe! Cute Story!
Thanks!
I LOVED reading your and Josh's story :) I am so happy you moved here!
What a sweet story. You are just the cutest family.
Geez Natalie your family is so dang cute! I've never seen the pictures of you with your brand new babies- I'm so glad you decided to do this post-cuz then I got to see 'em! You look perfect as usual in all of them! Are you liking Virginia? When we lived in Memphis for the summer I was not very excited and then ended up LOVING it more than anything. At least it's fun to have new experiences- we might as well do it while we're still kinda young. :) I keep meaning to tell you I'm sorry that I never called you when you were in Utah- it ended up being the craziest week ever and even though I had good intentions- it never happened. I tried to convince Jason to manage in the east again this year but it was a no go- we're going to California again. :( So... sometime when we end up in at least the same half of the country again, we'll get together. :)
That was so fun to read! And cute, cute pictures. You have such a cute little family:)
What a great story! So cute!
SOOOO Natalie and Josh!!! It is such a small world... This is Traci Millward...well, Jensen now. We cheered together at good ol GHS. Guess where I am living??? VIRGINIA BEACH! Chicks beach actually!! My email is Traci0125@gmail.com if yall want to get in touch!!
Cheers,
Traci Millward Jensen
Post a Comment