Monday, January 19, 2009

Projects, projects, projects...

I woke up yesterday morning and Thanks to "Thrifty decor Chick" I was dying to go to goodwill. As soon as I walked in and saw these candle holders I knew that was why I was being pulled there! I got all three of these for $7! Yes, I know! AMAZING deal! I was thrilled! Now all I need is candles.


I also made this table runner. I got the fabric for cheap, but you know me and my expensive taste. I found this awesome trim that I just had to have. I felt like I finally had something to tie in my rug! It was $13 a yard. I did get it on sale for $7 yard, but still, that is the same price as ALL of my candle holders! Thrifty Decor Chicks thrifty ideas aren't so thrifty when you have expensive taste!
It was so worth it it made the whole Runner! I LOVE the way it turned out!


Then on to my next adventure! A little bit of a bigger project! I made curtains for our bedroom!
The fabric was soooo expensive I could have bought them, but at least I can say that I made them. I also made a pillow case for our body pillow, I had just enough fabric and didn't want to waste any of it! Believe it or not, the pillow case was a lot harder than the curtains.



I did learn a few things: 1-Sewing always takes longer than you think and you should start you project before 8:30 pm! I was up til 2:30 determined to get done. The later it got the more I messed up and had to unpick!
2-I relied on my mom way too much! For all her stuff and for the advice. I didn't even have straight pins,a yard stick, or thread. I also had to borrow Lan's machine and she bailed me out with thread. The whole time I was doing it I was wishing for my moms rotary cutter and mat!
3-Pay attention to right and wrong side! I had to unpick 3 times because I sewed with the right side up!

No, they are NOT perfect and I am still trying to decide if I need to unpick and redo one side because they don't line up right. I would never let my MOTHER or MOTHER-IN-LAW look too closely! They are finished and they make me happy, that is what counts right?

14 comments:

Krista said...

GREAT JOB Natalie. It all looks fabulous! I'm impressed with the whole sewing thing... that is one of those things I've chosen to give up and not feel guilty about. It's good to see that's it's not a lost art. WAY TO GO!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am so proud. And they look great to me. One thing you have certainly conquered better than your mom, is that you already have them done!!!!!!! My material is still on the roll for my great room. It takes me foooooorever to get my projects started. But I didn't need to tell my darling daughter that...that's why you were so determined to get them done, because you seen how your mother works. And hey, a great seamstress always has to unpick. And also, a great seamstress knows all of the flaws that most others don't notice. So don't worry and just enjoy. They make your room look so homey. So Proud of You. Love MOM

Misty Moncur said...

So ambitious! I just bought a bunch of curtains because my sewing...um...not so good. Yours look awesome!

Emily said...

So awesome! You always have the best ideas. I've gotta check out that site!

My Garden of Eden said...

SOOOOOOOO CUTE!!! Hey guess what...I have those same candle holders. I bought mine for $20 so you got a GREAT deal. It all looks SO great! Wanna help me?

Angela said...

I am so IMPRESSED!!!! You know me, and sewing is one thing I don't even attempt!!! (even with mom's help) It is just not for me!!!! It all looks great! Great Job!!! Love you guys.

Jenn said...

Love the candle holders and the curtains!!! Way to go!! I don't know if I would attempt such a project without mom!!! You are awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Good job Nat! There's such a sense of satisfaction in beautifying your home, isn't there? I love it!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! Do you have a post with pics of your whole house? I bet every room is darling. You are so creative and have fabulous taste!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

I love Thrify Decor Chick! Isn't she amazing! I have SOOOO many sewing projects I can't even count! Good for you for actually doing them. I just buy the fabric and never get to doing them! Maybe this post will inspire me to finish a couple!

The Corbridges said...

Geez Natalie I wish you lived closer! I would love to make things like that with you!... although, I can guarantee yours would look ALOT better. I made Jason haul my sewing machine all the way to Memphis this summer, spent tons of money on material for a 4th of July quilt- and never even got past threading my machine- :) You're amazing to get all of that done! So, had a random dream last night that I was sleeping over at your house- and once again, I wish you were closer- not that I ever took advantage of it when you were- but, I think you're amazing! and we WILL hang out as soon as you're back :)

Amanda said...

YOU ARE AMAZING AND TALENTED. I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU GET SO MUCH DONE WITH KIDS AROUND. THEY LOOK GREAT.

Emily said...

Love the new pic of you and josh.

Anonymous said...

Natalie, are you ok? It's been too long since I've had an update :-) you're probably doing more amazing projects!